Search This Blog

One Sunday Guide to Singapore from Changi to Orchard



Day 7 was technically our last day in Singapore. Our only main thing to do on that day, which was a Sunday, was meet with our Inday Ellen, who worked with us when we were still in college, and is now working for a Singaporean family. We have agreed with Inday Ellen that we would meet at Orchard Road so our first destination was Orchard Road.


Changi Museum Chapel, the actual chapel were prisoners prayed and held service

The small, but historic Changi Museum, a former prison during WWII

But, before going to Orchard Road, my husband and I woke up early to go back to The Changi Museum. I am adamant in going there because it is one of the reasons why I choose Singapore to be my first out-of-country destination. I love James Clavell and I enjoyed reading his books, including King Rat, which is a story on prisoners of war at The Changi Museum. We just retraced our steps the day before. The museum is small and a tour would not take you more than an hour. There was a display of Aston Martins at the front of the museum and we stopped for a while to admire the beauties. We were back to Pasir Ris before lunch.

After getting back to Pasir Ris, we all rode the bus to the train station, and passed by McDonalds to have lunch. We were also trying to spend the rest of our money in our EZ link pass. TIP: Check if the EZ link pass you got has a "Flash Pay" function at the back. You can use the money in your EZ link pass to pay for food and goods at some stores, like 7-11, Guardian, groceries, Giordano, bookstores, and McDonalds. The apple pie there was sulit because it was only SG$1.00 and it was big.
At Orchard

At Orchard

At the Lucky Center. Lots of Pinoys!
Then we off we went to Orchard. I hated the Orchard train station because there were lots of people. I got claustrophobic for a while. Finally, we were able to breathe fresh air and emerged at the Takashimaya. Because our Inday was not yet in the area, we whiled our time by browsing through the shops there. I found the mini bags at Kate Spade cute and impractical. We decided to check out Kinokuniya bookstore at the top floor. This bookstore was supposed to excite me, but, frankly it didn't. I got overwhelmed by the too many books I didn't know where to go. I settled at the stationery area but didn't get anything because I did not need anything that time.

When our Inday arrived, we went out of the mall and walked around Orchard Street, bought ice cream sandwiches again, and crossed to Lucky Plaza. As expected, we saw lots of Kababayans. If we have not cooked at my cousin's apartment, I'm sure we would have had our lunch there because the aroma of the Filipino food was so enticing. I could not pass the chance to do ukay-ukay shopping with Inday Ellen because she remains my best ukay-ukay buddy. I was able to buy three pieces of clothing for P150 total. We parted ways with our Inday mid-afternoon as she would be returning to her work place.

At the Tiong Bahru Bakery

Coffee from the Tiong Bahru Bakery

Scones from the Tiong Bahru Bakery

Chocolate cake from the Tiong Bahru Bakery

We bought coffee and pastries at the Tiong Bahru Bakery. NOTE: We paid almost SG$20.00 for one coffee, one biscuit, and one cake, and I did not like the coffee. The coffee shop was also crowded and there were no seats for us anymore.
View from ION Sky at the 56th floor of ION Orchard

View from ION Sky at the 56th floor of ION Orchard

View from ION Sky at the 56th floor of ION Orchard

At the ION Sky

At the ION Sky

By this time, it was already past 3PM, and we decided to check out ION Sky, at the 56th level of ION Orchard. Entrance is free but the number of people allowed inside is limited, but there were still lots of people that day. There was a small line forming but the wait was not that long. I kind of hated our time there because I fear heights. But! If you're not and you love taking photos of skylines, I think this is worth visiting. It's also free, so no regrets on my part.


The Singapore Flyer viewed from Gardens by the Bay








After ION Sky, we rode the train to the Gardens by the Bay. When we arrived at the gardens, I was tired and suggested we take the tram (costing SG$3.00) until the area where the cloud dome is located. We spent most of our time just walking around, people watching, and taking pictures. I'm not really very appreciative of modern art/engineering, which is probably the reason why I was not jumping with joy when I was at the Gardens. I have to give it to the management of the gardens though for its cleanliness and walking-friendly paths. When it was almost night time (and dinner time), we decided to go back to our cousin's apartment.
Our last meal -- Hainanese Chicken, another must-eat in Singapore

Our last decent meal in the city-state is the Hainanese chicken. A very Singaporean dish, a dish that shows us how the city-state has been shaped, how it came to be. A dish that I think is very humble and simple, yet bursting with different pleasing flavors in your mouth.

No comments

Search for hotels nearby.