Search This Blog

Random Bus Rides and Home-cooked Meals in SingaporeHo



On our sixth day in the city-state of Singapore, we finally took the time to relax, chill, and feel Singapore outside of its touristy places. We slept late, bought food from the market, cooked at my cousin's apartment, sat with locals at a bus station we don't know where, and rode (and ran after) random buses.

Home-cooked food and take-out food from the Pasir Ris hawker center

Late lunch at Texas Chicken

It was a Saturday and my cousin had no work. But she had to fetch friends from the airport, so we went with her to the Changi City Point Mall to shop. Our first stop was lunch. We had late breakfast, but my siblings, husband and I were feeling hungry. We had lunch at Texas Chicken. Delicious chicken and even more delicious biscuit! One Singaporean was kind enough to give me change when I did not have change to give the cashier.

After lunch, we proceeded to shopping! There was a money changer at the ground floor. This mall has lots of outlet shops, so prices here are cheaper compared to other malls in the city-state. Our favorite was the Value$ store at the lower ground floor. Like its name, you really get value for your dollars. My brother went crazy (again) shopping for chocolates, lotions, and souvenirs. I went crazy with the instant Singaporean kopi-o that the store was selling for only SG$1.00 per pack.

At the second level, we went to an outlet shop for athletic apparel and I bought my uncle a set of tennis balls for SG$5.00. I'm not sure if that was already cheaper than the price in the Philippines. Outside this store, we bought my nephew a bag, which cost only SG$10.00.

My favorite shop in this mall was Tokutokuya, a Japanese store like Daiso and Japan Home Center, but with more vintage-inspired home wares. I bought a colorful plate, a rustic pillow case, and three calligraphy pens, all for SG$15.00.

Women's Prison in Changi

This was where Flor Contemplacion was incarcerated.



Old Chang Kee, seller of huge squid balls.

Rows of houses in Changi

In Changi

After shopping, I decided we catch a bus to The Changi Museum. But I realized I need to study how to read maps more because the route I suggested we do was long and took us an hour or two -- train to Simei, bus from Simei to Changi Women's Prison, bus from Women's Prison to Changi Museum --which resulted to us arriving at the museum just few minutes after it closed to visitors. Well, we just cherished our time riding random buses and riding them like locals. Changi was far from the city and its streets were already almost deserted. There are also few buses plying the roads and bus stations are few and far in between. But I think that was what I loved most about Singaporean. It was very peaceful. It was a far cry from the very busy city center.

No comments

Search for hotels nearby.