Search This Blog

Capilay, San Juan Spring Park


I am genuinely happy with the re-discovery of the Capilay Spring Park. This spring is what I would consider one of the many gifts Mother Nature has bestowed upon Siquijor that it is a shame that none of us were protecting it, cleaning it, taking care of it. For most of my childhood, the spring was sad and lonely and the waters were covered with leaves. I thought it was a scary sight that I only asked to visit the spring once even when I can see it all the time because it is located at the main highway.



There was also a time years ago when the spring was exploited and a swimming pool was constructed on the road across it. Guess what? The swimming pool dried up for many reasons, but the most prevailing reason which many locals believe the most is that the dili ingon nato (a term we use to refer to magical, out of this world beings) were not pleased with the construction. I am happy to see a revival of this spring park and I hope people will continue to enjoy this natural gift but do not exploit it beyond what it can offer.




The spring park is maintained by the local government of San Juan. Entrance is free, but there is a private company in the park that rents out vests and boats for children. The canteen has also re-opened and when I last checked they were selling food platters for boodle fights. Swimming is also free but parents are suggested to rent the vest (or bring your own vests) because there are no life guards and adults have actually died from drowning.

No comments

Search for hotels nearby.